Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Perfect Picnic Potatoes

I am not a lover of potato salad. I never quite understood it.  Cold cooked potatoes all globbed together with mayonnaise and very little flavour.  I'd rather have coleslaw. But then again, I've always had a love affair with all things tart and tangy. 

That all changed a couple of weeks ago.  We had a family get-together and my cousin made a potato salad that was out of this world. Really.  This is high praise from a non-potato-salad-loving person.  What was unique about her salad was that it a) was made with sweet potato and b) it had no mayonnaise. Yes, you read that right...no mayo.  So you could actually taste the flavours in the bowl. And boy did she add flavour!

She graciously gave me the recipe - which I made today and just had to share.  And although I totally forgot to ask her if it was okay to blog it, I'm sure she won't mind. She's amazing that way.

So, as May comes to a close and June rolls in, it's time to start thinking of backyard BBQs, weekends at the cottage and picnics - and of course - what to serve for dinner.  Well, at least you've got the side dishes covered!

Enjoy!

(p.s. I didn't have any green onions on hand so I substituted with red onion. It was still amazing!)

Lisa's Sweet Potato Salad

Ingredients

2-3 large sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
3 tbsp. olive oil
1 tbsp. wine vinegar
1 tbsp. fresh lime juice (or a little more if you like the tang!)
2 tsp. cilantro paste
1 tsp. cumin
1 tsp. sugar
1/4 tsp. salt and pepper
1/2 cup diced red pepper
1/3 cup sliced green onions
3 tbsp. fresh cilantro (optional)
1/2 cup cashews

Directions

1. In a large saucepan, simmer sweet potatoes in salted water until fork
tender.  Drain, rinse in cold water (helps to retain the colour) and drain
again.  Cool.

2. Whisk together olive oil, vinegar, lime juice, cilantro paste, cumin,
sugar, salt and pepper.

3. Gently mix the potatoes, red pepper, green onions and fresh cilantro with
the dressing.  Refrigerate for 2 hours to overnight.  Mix in the cashews
before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment