Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Rockin' the Guac(amole)...

I'm in a dip kind of mood (as if my last post didn't give it away).

Yesterday was eggplant. Today I moved on to avocado.  I'm trying to introduce Little Miss to new foods.  She hasn't attempted avocado in a while...a long while (the first attempt left scars on our psyche - and our walls).  Anyway, I found myself having an abundance of leftover avocado and wondered if the old adage about life giving you lemons held true for this green, mushy, super-food.

 Apparently it does because I've got a HUGE container full of rockin' guacamole. 

I like to shake things up a bit when I cook.  Don't get me wrong - I'm all for traditional and purity and all that jazz, but sometimes, just sometimes, I like to turn a classic on it's ear.  So I skipped the chopped tomatoes and tossed in pomegranate seeds.  Same tartness. Same colour contrast. Way better crunch! More like a burst actually...a sweet, tangy burst of flavour that balances the richness of the avocado just beautifully.

So...I've got the guacamole. Who's bringing the chips?

Enjoy!

By the way...raspberries are also an awesome substitute for the over-worked tomato.  Really. I'm not kidding.

Pomegranate Guacamole

Ingredients:

4 ripe avocados
1/2 a red onion, diced
2 cloves of garlic, diced
seeds from half a pomegranate
3 tbsp fresh squeezed lime juice
1 tbsp chopped fresh cilantro (optional)
salt and pepper to taste

Directions:

1. Scoop out avocado flesh into large bowl. Using a fork, mash until mostly pureed but with some big chunks left.

2. Add onion, garlic, two-thirds of the pomegranate seeds, lime juice, cilantro (if using) and mix well. Add salt and pepper to taste.

3. Cover and refrigerate for a minimum of 20 minutes to let the flavours "blend". Taste and adjust lime juice, salt or pepper as needed.  Sprinkle remaining pomegranate seeds on top and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment